Friday, March 11, 2011

Garlic!

This, so far, has been a successful experiment. We had been talking about growing garlic for a while, but never tried. Early last month, I had an old head of garlic that was no longer appetizing, so we planted the cloves in a flower box on our kitchen floor (it was still really cold outside). This is what grew... and pretty quickly. We've read that, like potatoes, when the green leaves die off it's ready to be pulled up. From each clove, a new head of garlic will grow.

I've also been reading up on preserving garlic, because while I like the stuff, I'm not sure what to do with 10-12 heads of it at a time. Apparently it freezes really well.  Good to know! I also read that to mince it and preserve it in oil is super dangerous. Even companies that sell it that way have a lot of extra measures they have to go through to do it properly. Bacteria grows in oil pretty quickly. I'll stick to freezing it.

We'll let you know what happens when we pull them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment